I was lucky enough to partner with Susan Andrews Kanoff (The Midlife Fashionista) who shares her amazing style for a Fitness to Fashion Workshop hosted by Helen Thomas Simply Smashing, a fabulous shop in Andover, Massachusetts. Our plan was to combine our areas of expertise and share some of our top tips for losing weight and looking great in the process!
I first opted to show everyone my “before” picture, and I explained how it was my fateful trip to a day spa when the one size fits all robe didn’t fit me, that prompted my journey to lose ninety-six pounds.
I went on to give some of my tips, including:
- Remind yourself that you’re no busier than a fit person.
- Vodka leads to Oreos”…another words, pay attention to what triggers your overeating!
- Think of food as a choice and not as a reward or punishment. You don’t “deserve” a decadent dessert, nor are you “depriving” yourself if you don’t have it.
- Make workouts something you do regularly, just like brushing your teeth.
- Switch up your exercise routines and make them something you genuinely enjoy such as dance lessons, Sunday morning bike rides or taking walks with friends or family.
- Recognize the saboteurs. Resist the “just this once”, “just a taste or bite won’t hurt” and even the “you’re no fun anymore” from some of the people closest to you.
- Eat foods in their lowest common denominator (whole form). For example, oranges instead of orange juice and shop the aisles on the outside of the supermarket where the least processed foods are located.
- View your body like a race-car– where you wouldn’t use cheap fuel and the goal is for the car to take you someplace, not just be the destination itself.
A few of the tips Susan touched upon were: